Monday, September 20, 2010

Gensan encounters Part 1

Interesting night despite the cancellation of meeting with visual artists. Al Nezzar got stuck in Sarangani and had to cancel the meeting but he gave me the contact number of an indie musician who could be a respondent to my MDSMA survey. The local musician also turned out to be a visual artist and referred other artist contacts to me so I can see them tomorrow. He also referred to me other indie musicians thriving in Gensan. Talk about hitting two birds with one stone! Tomorrow's gonna be tight. I'm hoping to cover a significant number of respondents/subjects on both projects.

(Recently, a friend named my affliction of juggling jobs. She says I have a polygamous relationship with work. She's given me advice on how to handle it and I'm trying to work it out. Next month, I'll be eating better and getting less hair fall.)

Well, back on track. I just came from an unlikely visit to an apartment rented by a team of comic book colorists and artists. My friend Van's boyfriend turns out to be a colorist for DC and Marvel. When we got there, he was fussing about a deadline for a Marvel project. I've never seen anyone so drunk on pressure, perhaps, because I never got to look at myself in the mirror while I was trying to hit deadlines. Haha! I hope they finish the project soon so they can take a rest. Poor guys have been up for hours trying to finish 9 pages.

Van and Mari showed me some of the processes  involved in Mari's line of work which are coloring and rendering. I know I've only seen the tip of the iceberg but seeing the tip made me realize that making comics is no easy job. A lot of time and effort and people are involved in producing your weekly 9-pager. Next time I have a comics in my hands, I will treat it with silent reverence or with jubilation  (most specially when the story is good) and read it, read it, read it.

It seems like this night's meeting with comic book guys is my prelude to my September 25 sojourn in Cebu for the 1st Cebu Comics Convention! The Cebu Comicon will be held in Ayala Mall. I'm not making up expectations for the convention. I want to be surprised. :)

And another thing to look forward to is a comics convention in Gensan slated next year!

2 comments:

  1. you have hairfall?...ok, back on track, WAY TO GO CHI! but you have to slow down, slow down, slow down :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still got hair fall. pero despite this i still got a good head of hair and my head! im trying to slow down. settling back in my old room in mintal soon. :)

    ReplyDelete